3 c. Yellow Cornmeal
1 c. Rice Flour
4 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
2 T Cane Sugar
1 t. Kosher Salt
1/4 c. finely minced Kaffir Lime Leaf
1/2 t. Pretty Thai® Thai Chili Powder
2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. sour cream
1 oz. honey
3 c. creamed corn
2 T Oil (Canola or Vegetable)
12 ” Cast Iron pan
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Place a 12” Cast Iron pan in the pre-heated oven for 20-30 minutes
3. Mix the dry ingredients together thoroughly
4. Whisk the wet ingredients together thoroughly
5. Combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix completely, avoiding clumps.
6. Remove Cast Iron pan from the oven and using paper towels, spread the 2 T of oil onto the entire surface of the hot pan, to include the edges. Add more oil if needed. The goal is to have a light layer of oil to help sear the cornbread mixture when adding to the pan, helping create a crust. This also helps prevent sticking when the cornbread is removed form the pan.
7. Add the cornbread mixture into the oiled pan, spreading evenly. Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, checking for doneness by placing a toothpick or butter knife into the center of the cornbread. If there is no moisture on the toothpick or butter knife, the cornbread is done. If there is still moisture, continue to cook, monitoring continuously every few minutes to ensure doneness and to prevent overcooking.
8. Remove done cornbread from the oven and let rest/cool on counter for approximately 1 hour. Use a small spatula or butter knife to separate the edges of the cornbread from the cast iron pan. Using your hand to hold the center of the cornbread, flip the cast iron pan over onto the cutting board and give a good tap on the bottom. This should release the cornbread onto the cutting board.
9. The cornbread is ready to be cut and enjoyed, or used for the crab stuffed mushrooms.